At the University of the Arts, learning and research modalities about art and the arts coexist and converge. Research on art, of vast academic tradition, involves reflection on the artistic fact, pointing to its historicizing, interpretation or analysis, based on various approaches, points of view and theoretical frameworks such as philosophy, aesthetics, the sociology of art, anthropology, the psychology of art, semiotics, the history of art and musicology. On the other hand, research in art goes to different ways of investigating, investigating and generating knowledge, through a specific method of research, work and experimentation, in order to arrive at unprecedented results that point to artistic creation. In the different areas of the University of the Arts, both approaches to knowledge have legitimacy and are enhanced.
We direct our teaching and research activity to creative production in arts and critical reflection on the arts, attending to the development of diverse aesthetic concepts and criteria, to the stimulation of creative talent that uses a maximum of expressive abilities and to the link between art and social transformation.
The University of the Arts is governed by the principles of responsible autonomy, co-governance, equal opportunities, quality, relevance, integrality and self-determination for artistic production, thought and knowledge defined in the Organic Law of Higher Education.
It articulates its activities and teaching programs in conjunction with the objectives and goals of the National Development Plan and the national policies of culture and heritage, and the policies, programs and projects of science, technology, innovation and ancestral knowledge.
Creating a national and international environment that values and supports the role of professionals, academics and art researchers, their contribution to the economy and the transformation of society, generating a real change in the productive matrix.
It will train professionals of the arts to have a broad understanding of their field, critical thinking and transforming social conscience, endowed with a spirit open to the values, principles and interdisciplinary practices, which demand the current field of arts, society and economy, and will develop and carry out research programs on the arts and in the arts aimed at critical reflection and innovation.
Position Ecuador as a common and interdisciplinary space in the field of training, research, production and dissemination of arts and knowledge with an emphasis on the South-South relationship.
To be the international locus for the quality, uniqueness and sociocultural relevance within the arts. Its production and strong links with the community through significant experiences of service-learning, research, creation, production and dissemination, and for being a guarantor of the full exercise of cultural rights and the symbolic integration of Ecuador.
The principles and values practiced in the University of the Arts are:
- Interculturality: Promotes a model of cultural coexistence, learning and development of knowledge based on respect, acceptance and enriching interaction with the other.
- Equality: Guarantees equal opportunities for peoples and nationalities, women and men, people various different gender identities, differently abled people, rural and urban dwellers.
- Critical thinking: Fosters respect for the diversity of opinions, expressions and creations, providing the conditions for reflection and the exercise of criticism and self-critique which highlights the implications, ethical limitations, political and social consequences of artistic works.
- Innovation: Muta, rethinks and revises points of view, processes, products, and forms of expression and creation in an effective and articulate way.
- Decololonialism: Involves the awareness of the processes of colonization, power, knowledge and world view and proposes alternative solutions to the dominant hegemonic matrices, valuing and making visible the diversity of knowledge and traditional and contemporary knowledge, as well as its holistic and integrating capacity.
- Artistic freedom: It is a necessary condition and reason for creative expression, free of political, religious and socio-cultural censorship or self-censorship, which guarantees symbolic expression beyond any determination or market events.
- Social commitment: Implicit responsibility to contribute to the social development of the country.
- Permanent improvement: Maintains a position of constant self-evaluation and improvement in order to always be at the forefront of university excellence.
- Promotion and respect of cultural rights: guarantees the exercise of cultural rights on equal terms.
- Inter and Trans-disciplinarity: Creatively links disciplines and methodologies; explores and proposes academic experiences that go beyond the scope of each discipline.
- Inter-learning and the community link: Considers the organic curricular link with inter-learning the experiences of inter-learning in the community a fundamental axis to promote the social conscience of the students, as well as the exploration of significant artistic endeavors for all.